By Aly Teich
Have you been following the Sweat It Forward Studio Challenge in NYC? Have you been thinking: How can I be a part of this? Well, we have something exciting to announce…
SWEAT IT FORWARD IS GOING NATIONAL — AND YOU GET TO BE A PART OF IT!
How, you ask? Good question! Here’s how it will work:
The “consumer” challenge will work very similarly to the Sweat It Forward studio challenge, but instead of studios challenging other studios to try their workout, it will be individuals challenging their friends, family, loved ones, colleagues - you name it - to try their favorite fitness classes or workouts. The person challenged will have one week to complete the class or workout, or they will donate $35 dollars (the average price of a fitness class in New York) to Stand Up To Cancer. Once the challenge is completed, the person will “Sweat it Forward” and challenge one of THEIR friends to try a workout or class of their choice… and so on! (Think the ALS ice bucket challenge – but for fitness and to benefit cancer!)
Shall we break it down a little more?
- Challenge must be fitness related
- Challenge must be able to be completed in one week
- If challenge is not completed, person challenged donates $35 dollars (or agreed upon amount) to Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C).
- Everything is an honor system - both completing challenges and donating
- People must announce their challenge over social media (Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter are all fine)
- On Instagram and Twitter you must tag @sweatlife_nyc and @su2c and use the hashtag #SweatItForward
- On Facebook you must tag The Sweat Life and Stand Up To Cancer (you must like the pages first to tag)
- If you have decided to join the challenge and have not already been nominated by someone else, you can decide how to announce (see suggested language below)
- If you are “Sweating Forward” someone else’s challenge, your nomination should be filmed while fulfilling your end of the challenge, or after completion (video or picture proof)
- All donations will go through the Sweat it Forward donation page for Stand Up To Cancer
- Suggested donation amount will start at $35 dollars if challenge is not completed
- People can encourage others to donate, as well as complete challenge
- All donations are an honor system
Suggested language for a challenge starter:
In a video or on Facebook:
“I challenge Jess Geiger to The Sweat Life’s Sweat It Forward challenge – to take class with me at Barry’s Bootcamp! You have one week to come with me or go on your own to class, or you have to donate $35 dollars to Stand Up To Cancer”
Written on IG:
“I challenge @itsjessgeiger to @sweatlife_nyc’s Sweat It Forward challenge - to take class with me at @barrysbootcamp! You have one week to come with me or go on your own to class, or you have to donate $35 dollars to @su2C” #SweatItForward
Example video nomination you can post on social media (remember you still must tag @sweatlife_nyc & @su2c and use the hashtag #SweatItForward):
Suggested language to “Sweat It Forward”:
Verbal (in video or on Facebook):
“I just finished my Sweat Life Sweat it Forward challenge at Barry’s Bootcamp! I Sweat it Forward to Jenn Seracuse who has to take a class at Barry's Bootcamp! You have one week to complete your challenge or donate $35 to Stand up to Cancer!”
Written on IG:
“I just finished my @sweatlife_nyc Sweat it Forward challenge at @flexstudiosnyc! I Sweat it Forward to @jennseracuse who has to take a class at @barrysbootcamp! You have one week to complete your challenge or donate $35 to @SU2C!”
Example video to "Sweat it Forward" you can post on social media (remember you still must tag @sweatlife_nyc & @su2c and use the hashtag #SweatItForward):
We can't wait to see all of your challenges! Remember, this is not only an amazing way to show off your favorite workout or support your favorite studio, but you are actually paying health forward while helping raise awareness and money for cancer. As exercise is a key component in preventing cancer, you are ACTIVELY helping keep this disease at bay and STANDING UP TO CANCER!
Who do you stand up for?!
Have fun and #SweatItForward today!