By Natalia Millan
Working out has become such an important part of my life, that I now wear athletic gear about 90% of the time. Having a former life in the fashion industry, personal style has always been important and a big part of how I express myself, so restructuring my closet and wardrobe was a fun exercise. I had to find my personal style in workout clothes.
Having done this exercise recently myself and helped some of my friends, I have come up with a style guide. It is short and basic, but it might be helpful to help you on this new style journey you’re about to take. I am all about mixing and matching, and dressing with low and high-end pieces; you could say my style is eclectic... I guess it really depends on what kind of mood I wake up in, in the morning.
It's all about the proportions! If I am wearing tight workout pants, I like to wear a bigger top (men's shirts sometimes) with a knot on the side or back.
1. Pants NIKE DRI-FIT EPIC LUX PRINTED Shop
2. Bra Women's Old Navy Active Double-Strap Sports Bra Shop
3. Shoes NIKE FREE TR CONNECT 2 Shop
4. Top Lululemon Yogi Cut Off Tee Shop
I like to pair things that are unexpected. Try putting two different prints together. Step out of your comfort zone and have fun with it!
1. Jacket NIKE TECH Women's Cape Shop
2. Shoes Nike Free TR Fit-4 (customized with Nike id) Shop
3. Pant Lululemon Run: Inspire Crop II *All Luxtreme Shop
4. Bra Nike PRO Classic Tiger Shop
I think menswear-inspired clothing is sexy, strong, and confident. See if you can borrow your boyfriend's t-shirt. I have a feeling you might like it...
1. Top NIKE DRI-FIT TOUCH CLUB SIDE-TIE Shop
2. Shoes NIKE FREE 3.0 FLYKNIT Shop
3. Pants NIKE PRO CORE COMPRESSION Shop
4. Bra Lululemon Run: Stuff Your Bra II Shop
Clean lines and basic colors are predominant in my wardrobe. Accessories are a great way to get your style out, and to explore with color, prints, and textures in small ways. My new obsession is colorful 'crazy' shoes!!!
1. Bra Espalier Midriff Cutout Bra Top Shop
2. Pants Nike Trail Kiger Running Capris Shop
3. Shoes Nike Free 5.0 TR Fit 4 Printed Training Shoe Shop
4. Top Lululemon Next to Nothing Tank Shop
Born and raised in Venezuela, Natalia Millan moved to New York for school, working in retail as she finished her degree in finance. She stayed in fashion for ten years, both in stores and corporate planning and merchandising, and has always loved fashion and expressing herself through it. At the start of 2014 and already addicted to SoulCycle, Natalia decided to change paths and become a full-time SoulCycle instructor, a change that has been both humbling and rewarding.