By Alli McGinnis
Going to your local department store to pick up a new foundation or mascara just isn’t the same anymore. You might get asked 100 questions — If you want a BB cream or a CC cream? Full, medium, or light coverage? Matte or satin finish? Do you want your mascara to lengthen, volumize, curl, extend, falsify, colored, glitter, tubes or waterproof? It can all be overwhelming.
The biggest complaint I hear from women is that their makeup bag is full of makeup but they aren’t using most of it, because they don’t know quite how to use it, or because there’s just too much clutter in there.
Let’s take it “Back to the Basics” and focus on 8 products that do everything you need — from a day at the office to a night out on the town.
1. Foundation or Tinted Moisturizer: Even out your skin-tone with a few swipes of foundation or tinted moisturizer. If you feel like you need more coverage go for a full coverage foundation such as Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Crème. If you like a lighter coverage try a tinted Moisturizer such as Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer.
2. Lip and Cheek Tint: I love a good 2-in-1 product and my current favorite is Stila’s Convertible Color. Dab a few dots on the apples of the cheeks and blend up the cheekbone. Then use what’s left on your fingertips to pat onto your lips. A little goes a long way, and less is more with this product.
3. One Swipe Shadow: There is no need to blend and buff 5 shades of shadow onto your lids every day. Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint is the perfect way to add a little glimmer without the fuss. Just swipe the stick over your eyelid and blend in with the tip of your finger.
4. Mascara: There are hundreds of mascaras out on the market and it can be intimidating to know which kind is best for you. Do you want to curl, lengthen, volumize, prime, falsies…? You name it they make it. I like mascara that doesn’t feel heavy on my lashes, and that lengthens and curls. Try an all-natural mascara such as Tarte’s Lights, Camera, Lashes. I absolutely love this mascara because it lengthens, volumizes, curls, and conditions. And it’s gentle on my lashes, yet dramatic enough to accentuate my eyes.
6. Red Lipstick: When all else fails you can always pull yourself together with a classic red lip. A little mascara and a bold red lip can be quite the showstopper. My favorites are Erin’s Faces Satin Lipstick in Red for a blue-based true red, and Nars Semi Matte Lipstick in Heat Wave for an orange-based red.
7. Nude Lipgloss: If you are going for a neutral casual look, swipe a nudish-pink lipgloss on for a soft and subtle finish. You won’t find my handbag without bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss in Rule Breaker.
8. Pressed Powder: It’s always a good idea to carry a compact in your handbag for touch-ups. I like to powder my nose throughout the day and I find that bareMinerals Perfecting Veil absorbs excess oil and resets my makeup when I’m running around town.
Alli McGinnis is a Pilates instructor, beauty junky, and veganish foodie. Alli's goal is to create a space where women can come and be inspired to feel confident in their own skin. On her blog, Inside Out Beautiful, she writes about everything from beauty and fashion tips to fitness and living a healthy lifestyle from the" Inside Out." She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and seven month old son Declan.